Saturday, March 27, 2010

Traveling the Natchez Trace

My wife and I will probably focus our visit in April on the Natchez-Trace Parkway...from Tupelo to Natchez.





I understand there%26#39;s lots to do, but I%26#39;d love to hear experienced recommendations for sites, hikes and nearby towns...as well as good lodging or restaurants that we shouldn%26#39;t miss.





Also, does it make sense to stay in one central town (Jackson, maybe?) and take day trips out along the parkway and to Vicksburg?



Traveling the Natchez Trace


I%26#39;ll reply to my own question just to say that the Trace is a great place to visit.





My number one recommendation for anyone wanting to learn about it along the way is to buy the book: Guide to the Natchez Trace Parkway by F. Lynne Bachleda. It%26#39;s well organized and is great for planning your trip or just learning about the sites as you drive along. It gave us just the right amount of additional detail about each place we were curious about.





The highlights of our trip (we only traveled from Tupelo to Natchez) were:





-The cyprus swamp...worth spending time here



-Windsor runis...a little way off the road, but a remarkable spot for photos. It%26#39;s like ancient Greece right here in America.



-The restaurant at French Camp



-The Sunken Trace





I wish we could have gotten to Mt. Locust and Emerald Mound near Natchez.





I%26#39;d recommend this beautiful drive to anyone looking for a trip back in time in this part of the country. I can recommend restaurants along the way, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment